Skip Menu |
Report information
Id: 131698
Status: resolved
Priority: 0/
Queue: perl5

Owner: Nobody
Requestors: xsawyerx [at] gmail.com
Cc:
AdminCc:

Operating System: (no value)
PatchStatus: (no value)
Severity: low
Type:
Perl Version: (no value)
Fixed In: (no value)

Attachments
0001-Replace-Release-Managers-Guide-RMG-with-new-version.patch
0001-Suppress-irrelevant-MUST-SKIP-this-step-RMG-paragrap.patch
0002-Restore-Porting-make-rmg-checklist-html-option.patch



Subject: Rewritten RMG checklist maker
To: perlbug [...] perl.org
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2017 21:31:53 -0400
From: Sawyer X <xsawyerx [...] gmail.com>
Download (untitled) / with headers
text/plain 1.7k
This is a bug report for perl from xsawyerx@gmail.com, generated with the help of perlbug 1.40 running under perl 5.22.1. ----------------------------------------------------------------- The current RMG checklist (Porting/make-rmg-checklist) has a few problems, so I rewrote it. This is from the commit message: Many of the mistakes made by me during a release has to do with the confusing instructions in the guide. * Some steps are mentioned in different order * Some steps are mentioned (and noted to *NOT* do) * The confusion between "MAINT" and "BLEAD-FINAL", and "BLEAD-FINAL" and "BLEAD-POINT". This generator generates a checklist with only the instruction you *will* have to perform. Any steps that mentions they must be skipped for the release will not be included in the end-result. Unlike the previous guide, you need not know the type of the release you do. Instead, you give the version you want to release and it generates the appropriate one for you. All the following incantations work: perl Porting/make-rmg-checklist --version 5.26.0-RC2 # RC perl Porting/make-rmg-checklist --version 5.26.0 # BLEAD-FINAL perl Porting/make-rmg-checklist --version 5.27.0 # BLEAD-POINT perl Porting/make-rmg-checklist --version 5.27.1 # BLEAD-POINT perl Porting/make-rmg-checklist --version 5.26.1 # MAINT Extra benefit: Apparently it includes additional checklist steps at the top that somehow are not included when you currently generate. Downside: HTML is not yet supported. I've removed unnecessary details in the report. ----------------------------------------------------------------- --- Flags: category=core severity=low Type=Patch PatchStatus=HasPatch ---

Message body is not shown because sender requested not to inline it.

RT-Send-CC: perl5-porters [...] perl.org
Download (untitled) / with headers
text/plain 1.9k
On Tue, 04 Jul 2017 01:32:10 GMT, xsawyerx@gmail.com wrote: Show quoted text
> This is a bug report for perl from xsawyerx@gmail.com, > generated with the help of perlbug 1.40 running under perl 5.22.1. > > > ----------------------------------------------------------------- > > The current RMG checklist (Porting/make-rmg-checklist) has a few > problems, so I rewrote it. > > This is from the commit message: > > Many of the mistakes made by me during a release has to do with the > confusing instructions in the guide. > > * Some steps are mentioned in different order > * Some steps are mentioned (and noted to *NOT* do) > * The confusion between "MAINT" and "BLEAD-FINAL", and "BLEAD-FINAL" > and "BLEAD-POINT". > > This generator generates a checklist with only the instruction you > *will* have to perform. Any steps that mentions they must be skipped > for the release will not be included in the end-result. > > Unlike the previous guide, you need not know the type of the release > you do. Instead, you give the version you want to release and it > generates the appropriate one for you. > > All the following incantations work: > > perl Porting/make-rmg-checklist --version 5.26.0-RC2 # RC > perl Porting/make-rmg-checklist --version 5.26.0 # BLEAD-FINAL > perl Porting/make-rmg-checklist --version 5.27.0 # BLEAD-POINT > perl Porting/make-rmg-checklist --version 5.27.1 # BLEAD-POINT > perl Porting/make-rmg-checklist --version 5.26.1 # MAINT > > Extra benefit: Apparently it includes additional checklist steps > at the top that somehow are not included when you currently generate. > > Downside: HTML is not yet supported. > > I've removed unnecessary details in the report. > >
Could we get feedback on this patch from people who have done the various types of release mentioned (RC, BLEAD-FINAL, BLEAD-POINT, MAINT)? Thank you very much. -- James E Keenan (jkeenan@cpan.org)
Subject: Re: [perl #131698] [PATCH] Rewritten RMG checklist maker
To: James E Keenan via RT <perlbug-followup [...] perl.org>
CC: Perl5 Porters <perl5-porters [...] perl.org>
From: Aaron Crane <arc [...] cpan.org>
Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2017 14:09:05 +0100
Download (untitled) / with headers
text/plain 616b
James E Keenan via RT <perlbug-followup@perl.org> wrote: Show quoted text
> Could we get feedback on this patch from people who have done the various types of release mentioned (RC, BLEAD-FINAL, BLEAD-POINT, MAINT)?
I think this is a significant improvement, and I look forward to using its output for this month's blead release. I've attached two further patches: - Restore the --html option - Remove irrelevant and confusing "You MUST SKIP this section if …" paragraphs that don't apply to the release being prepared (when those paragraphs appear in sections that do apply to it) -- Aaron Crane ** http://aaroncrane.co.uk/

Message body is not shown because sender requested not to inline it.

Message body is not shown because sender requested not to inline it.

To: Aaron Crane <arc [...] cpan.org>, James E Keenan via RT <perlbug-followup [...] perl.org>
Subject: Re: [perl #131698] [PATCH] Rewritten RMG checklist maker
From: Sawyer X <xsawyerx [...] gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2017 12:57:54 -0400
CC: Perl5 Porters <perl5-porters [...] perl.org>
Download (untitled) / with headers
text/plain 892b
Thank you, Aaron! I have one comment on the "MUST SKIP" change. I'm failing to spot something here. Every "MUST SKIP" comment has a "metadata" item ("=for") that contains a skip for it, so the script shouldn't be adding those sections. What am I missing? On 07/09/2017 09:09 AM, Aaron Crane wrote: Show quoted text
> James E Keenan via RT <perlbug-followup@perl.org> wrote:
>> Could we get feedback on this patch from people who have done the various types of release mentioned (RC, BLEAD-FINAL, BLEAD-POINT, MAINT)?
> I think this is a significant improvement, and I look forward to using > its output for this month's blead release. > > I've attached two further patches: > > - Restore the --html option > > - Remove irrelevant and confusing "You MUST SKIP this section if …" > paragraphs that don't apply to the release being prepared (when those > paragraphs appear in sections that do apply to it) >
From: Aaron Crane <arc [...] cpan.org>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2017 19:17:58 +0100
CC: James E Keenan via RT <perlbug-followup [...] perl.org>, Perl5 Porters <perl5-porters [...] perl.org>
Subject: Re: [perl #131698] [PATCH] Rewritten RMG checklist maker
To: Sawyer X <xsawyerx [...] gmail.com>
Download (untitled) / with headers
text/plain 928b
Sawyer X <xsawyerx@gmail.com> wrote: Show quoted text
> I have one comment on the "MUST SKIP" change. I'm failing to spot > something here. Every "MUST SKIP" comment has a "metadata" item ("=for") > that contains a skip for it, so the script shouldn't be adding those > sections. What am I missing?
That's for situations like this one: =for checklist skip RC =head3 Release schedule I<You MUST SKIP this step for RC> Tick the entry for your release in F<Porting/release_schedule.pod>. Your change does correctly ensure that this section is skipped when preparing the checklist for an RC release. It also correctly ensures that this section is included when preparing the checklist for (say) a BLEAD-POINT release. But the "MUST SKIP" message is unnecessary in this case — it doesn't affect the release being prepared, and it risks looking scary and confusing to the release manager. -- Aaron Crane ** http://aaroncrane.co.uk/
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2017 08:58:08 -0400
From: Sawyer X <xsawyerx [...] gmail.com>
CC: James E Keenan via RT <perlbug-followup [...] perl.org>, Perl5 Porters <perl5-porters [...] perl.org>
Subject: Re: [perl #131698] [PATCH] Rewritten RMG checklist maker
To: Aaron Crane <arc [...] cpan.org>
On 07/10/2017 02:17 PM, Aaron Crane wrote: Show quoted text
> Sawyer X <xsawyerx@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I have one comment on the "MUST SKIP" change. I'm failing to spot >> something here. Every "MUST SKIP" comment has a "metadata" item ("=for") >> that contains a skip for it, so the script shouldn't be adding those >> sections. What am I missing?
> That's for situations like this one: > > =for checklist skip RC > > =head3 Release schedule > > I<You MUST SKIP this step for RC> > > Tick the entry for your release in F<Porting/release_schedule.pod>. > > Your change does correctly ensure that this section is skipped when > preparing the checklist for an RC release. > > It also correctly ensures that this section is included when preparing > the checklist for (say) a BLEAD-POINT release. But the "MUST SKIP" > message is unnecessary in this case — it doesn't affect the release > being prepared, and it risks looking scary and confusing to the > release manager.
Ah! that's what I missed. :) Thanks. +1 from me for the extra patch as well.
RT-Send-CC: perl5-porters [...] perl.org
Download (untitled) / with headers
text/plain 169b
In the absence of further comments, I've merged Sawyer's change (and my tweaks) as d890b31817bc6977dad074b4b818dadbe763114f -- Aaron Crane ** http://aaroncrane.co.uk/


This service is sponsored and maintained by Best Practical Solutions and runs on Perl.org infrastructure.

For issues related to this RT instance (aka "perlbug"), please contact perlbug-admin at perl.org