Skip Menu |
Report information
Id: 127131
Status: resolved
Priority: 0/
Queue: perl5

Owner: Nobody
Requestors: andreas.koenig.7os6VVqR [at] franz.ak.mind.de
Cc:
AdminCc:

Operating System: (no value)
PatchStatus: (no value)
Severity: low
Type: unknown
Perl Version: (no value)
Fixed In: (no value)



Subject: [PATCH] Re: Configure: libswanted=nm suddenly harmful
Date: Sun, 03 Jan 2016 09:36:33 +0100
To: perlbug [...] perl.org
From: Andreas Koenig <andreas.koenig.7os6VVqR [...] franz.ak.mind.de>
CC: pp Porters <perl5-porters [...] perl.org>, TODDR [...] cpan.org, Andy Dougherty <doughera [...] lafayette.edu>
Download (untitled) / with headers
text/plain 2.8k
Show quoted text
>>>>> On Sat, 2 Jan 2016 19:29:09 -0500, Andy Dougherty <doughera@lafayette.edu> said:
Show quoted text
> I think it's probably safe to remove the "New Math" library (nm) from > Configure's libswanted list.
Thanks, patch attached. [...] Show quoted text
> Thanks for the good detective work!
Yeah, I had my fun; isn't it wonderful to have 1994 in the git? Site configuration information for perl 5.23.7: Configured by sand at Sun Jan 3 09:00:40 CET 2016. Summary of my perl5 (revision 5 version 23 subversion 7) configuration: Local Commit: 17ff5b78da2810b9d1723168ca18422f086d5603 Ancestor: 83677dc5596295a5b5095063d96f95de3735933a Platform: osname=linux, osvers=4.3.0-1-amd64, archname=x86_64-linux uname='linux k83 4.3.0-1-amd64 #1 smp debian 4.3.3-2 (2015-12-17) x86_64 gnulinux ' config_args='-des -Dusedevel' hint=recommended, useposix=true, d_sigaction=define useithreads=undef, usemultiplicity=undef use64bitint=define, use64bitall=define, uselongdouble=undef usemymalloc=n, bincompat5005=undef Compiler: cc='cc', ccflags ='-fwrapv -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe -fstack-protector-strong -I/usr/local/include -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2', optimize='-O2', cppflags='-fwrapv -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe -fstack-protector-strong -I/usr/local/include' ccversion='', gccversion='5.3.1 20160101', gccosandvers='' intsize=4, longsize=8, ptrsize=8, doublesize=8, byteorder=12345678, doublekind=3 d_longlong=define, longlongsize=8, d_longdbl=define, longdblsize=16, longdblkind=3 ivtype='long', ivsize=8, nvtype='double', nvsize=8, Off_t='off_t', lseeksize=8 alignbytes=8, prototype=define Linker and Libraries: ld='cc', ldflags =' -fstack-protector-strong -L/usr/local/lib' libpth=/usr/local/lib /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/5/include-fixed /usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu /usr/lib /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu /lib/../lib /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu /usr/lib/../lib /lib libs=-lpthread -lnsl -lgdbm -ldb -ldl -lm -lcrypt -lutil -lc -lgdbm_compat perllibs=-lpthread -lnsl -ldl -lm -lcrypt -lutil -lc libc=libc-2.21.so, so=so, useshrplib=false, libperl=libperl.a gnulibc_version='2.21' Dynamic Linking: dlsrc=dl_dlopen.xs, dlext=so, d_dlsymun=undef, ccdlflags='-Wl,-E' cccdlflags='-fPIC', lddlflags='-shared -O2 -L/usr/local/lib -fstack-protector-strong' Locally applied patches: 17ff5b78da2810b9d1723168ca18422f086d5603 --- @INC for perl 5.23.7: lib /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.23.7/x86_64-linux /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.23.7 /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.23.7/x86_64-linux /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.23.7 . --- Environment for perl 5.23.7: HOME=/home/sand LANG=en_US.UTF-8 LANGUAGE=en_US:en LD_LIBRARY_PATH (unset) LOGDIR (unset) PATH=/home/sand/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/games:/usr/local/perl/bin:/usr/X11/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin PERL_BADLANG (unset) SHELL=/usr/bin/zsh -- andreas
From 17ff5b78da2810b9d1723168ca18422f086d5603 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001 From: Andreas Koenig <andk@cpan.org> Date: Sun, 3 Jan 2016 08:40:33 +0100 Subject: [PATCH] Remove nm from libswanted Nm stood for "New Math" library in the context of 1994. 2014 a conflicting library libnm appeared that has a network manager context. --- Configure | 2 +- 1 file changed, 1 insertion(+), 1 deletion(-) diff --git a/Configure b/Configure index 0e71b4b..cfbdaa1 100755 --- a/Configure +++ b/Configure @@ -1464,7 +1464,7 @@ libswanted_uselargefiles='' : set usesocks on the Configure command line to enable socks. : List of libraries we want. : If anyone needs extra -lxxx, put those in a hint file. -libswanted="cl pthread socket bind inet nsl nm ndbm gdbm dbm db malloc dl ld" +libswanted="cl pthread socket bind inet nsl ndbm gdbm dbm db malloc dl ld" libswanted="$libswanted sun m crypt sec util c cposix posix ucb bsd BSD" : We probably want to search /usr/shlib before most other libraries. : This is only used by the lib/ExtUtils/MakeMaker.pm routine extliblist. -- 2.6.4
Subject: Re: [perl #127131] [PATCH] Re: Configure: libswanted=nm suddenly harmful
Date: Sun, 3 Jan 2016 10:28:57 +0100
To: "(Andreas J. Koenig) (via RT)" <perlbug-followup [...] perl.org>, Perl5 Porters <perl5-porters [...] perl.org>
From: "H.Merijn Brand" <h.m.brand [...] xs4all.nl>
CC: bugs-bitbucket [...] rt.perl.org
Download (untitled) / with headers
text/plain 3.7k
On Sun, 3 Jan 2016 00:37:02 -0800, (Andreas J. Koenig) (via RT) <perlbug-followup@perl.org> wrote: Show quoted text
> # New Ticket Created by (Andreas J. Koenig) > # Please include the string: [perl #127131] > # in the subject line of all future correspondence about this issue. > # <URL: https://rt.perl.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=127131 > > >
> >>>>> On Sat, 2 Jan 2016 19:29:09 -0500, Andy Dougherty <doughera@lafayette.edu> said:
>
> > I think it's probably safe to remove the "New Math" library (nm) from > > Configure's libswanted list.
Agree Show quoted text
> Thanks, patch attached.
Feel free to apply that patch. I'll backport when $work settles down enough to grant me time to do so Show quoted text
> [...] >
> > Thanks for the good detective work!
100% agree, as I already mentioned on IRC Show quoted text
> Yeah, I had my fun; isn't it wonderful to have 1994 in the git? > > > Site configuration information for perl 5.23.7: > > Configured by sand at Sun Jan 3 09:00:40 CET 2016. > > Summary of my perl5 (revision 5 version 23 subversion 7) configuration: > Local Commit: 17ff5b78da2810b9d1723168ca18422f086d5603 > Ancestor: 83677dc5596295a5b5095063d96f95de3735933a > Platform: > osname=linux, osvers=4.3.0-1-amd64, archname=x86_64-linux > uname='linux k83 4.3.0-1-amd64 #1 smp debian 4.3.3-2 (2015-12-17) x86_64 gnulinux ' > config_args='-des -Dusedevel' > hint=recommended, useposix=true, d_sigaction=define > useithreads=undef, usemultiplicity=undef > use64bitint=define, use64bitall=define, uselongdouble=undef > usemymalloc=n, bincompat5005=undef > Compiler: > cc='cc', ccflags ='-fwrapv -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe -fstack-protector-strong -I/usr/local/include -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2', > optimize='-O2', > cppflags='-fwrapv -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe -fstack-protector-strong -I/usr/local/include' > ccversion='', gccversion='5.3.1 20160101', gccosandvers='' > intsize=4, longsize=8, ptrsize=8, doublesize=8, byteorder=12345678, doublekind=3 > d_longlong=define, longlongsize=8, d_longdbl=define, longdblsize=16, longdblkind=3 > ivtype='long', ivsize=8, nvtype='double', nvsize=8, Off_t='off_t', lseeksize=8 > alignbytes=8, prototype=define > Linker and Libraries: > ld='cc', ldflags =' -fstack-protector-strong -L/usr/local/lib' > libpth=/usr/local/lib /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/5/include-fixed /usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu /usr/lib /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu /lib/../lib /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu /usr/lib/../lib /lib > libs=-lpthread -lnsl -lgdbm -ldb -ldl -lm -lcrypt -lutil -lc -lgdbm_compat > perllibs=-lpthread -lnsl -ldl -lm -lcrypt -lutil -lc > libc=libc-2.21.so, so=so, useshrplib=false, libperl=libperl.a > gnulibc_version='2.21' > Dynamic Linking: > dlsrc=dl_dlopen.xs, dlext=so, d_dlsymun=undef, ccdlflags='-Wl,-E' > cccdlflags='-fPIC', lddlflags='-shared -O2 -L/usr/local/lib -fstack-protector-strong' > > Locally applied patches: > 17ff5b78da2810b9d1723168ca18422f086d5603 > > --- > @INC for perl 5.23.7: > lib > /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.23.7/x86_64-linux > /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.23.7 > /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.23.7/x86_64-linux > /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.23.7 > . > > --- > Environment for perl 5.23.7: > HOME=/home/sand > LANG=en_US.UTF-8 > LANGUAGE=en_US:en > LD_LIBRARY_PATH (unset) > LOGDIR (unset) > PATH=/home/sand/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/games:/usr/local/perl/bin:/usr/X11/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin > PERL_BADLANG (unset) > SHELL=/usr/bin/zsh > >
-- H.Merijn Brand http://tux.nl Perl Monger http://amsterdam.pm.org/ using perl5.00307 .. 5.23 porting perl5 on HP-UX, AIX, and openSUSE http://mirrors.develooper.com/hpux/ http://www.test-smoke.org/ http://qa.perl.org http://www.goldmark.org/jeff/stupid-disclaimers/
Download (untitled)
application/pgp-signature 490b

Message body not shown because it is not plain text.

RT-Send-CC: perl5-porters [...] perl.org
Download (untitled) / with headers
text/plain 217b
On Sun Jan 03 01:29:39 2016, hmbrand wrote: Show quoted text
> Feel free to apply that patch. I'll backport when $work settles down > enough to grant me time to do so
Thanks, applied as 4732711e2548b6d734ca831d65dbcf501a89774e. Tony
Download (untitled) / with headers
text/plain 252b
Thank you for submitting this report. You have helped make Perl better. With the release of Perl 5.24.0 on May 9, 2016, this and 149 other issues have been resolved. Perl 5.24.0 may be downloaded via https://metacpan.org/release/RJBS/perl-5.24.0


This service is sponsored and maintained by Best Practical Solutions and runs on Perl.org infrastructure.

For issues related to this RT instance (aka "perlbug"), please contact perlbug-admin at perl.org