Skip Menu |
Report information
Id: 119313
Status: open
Priority: 0/
Queue: perl5

Owner: Nobody
Requestors: rjbs <rjbs [at] cpan.org>
Cc:
AdminCc:

Operating System: (no value)
PatchStatus: (no value)
Severity: low
Type: unknown
Perl Version: (no value)
Fixed In: (no value)



Subject: [EXPERIMENT] our :unique $var
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2013 21:07:08 -0400
To: perlbug [...] perl.org
From: Ricardo Signes <rjbs [...] cpan.org>
Download (untitled) / with headers
text/plain 521b
perl 5.8.0 introduced the experimental reserved attribute :unique for use with threading. It seems now to be universally unused and has been marked as deprecated since perl 5.10.0. We should rip it out. I started to do this but found that there is code for it in threads, which is upstream cpan. I described this earlier in: http://www.nntp.perl.org/group/perl.perl5.porters/2013/06/msg203084.html Let's remove the code from perl and the perl core dist and turn it into just another unknown attribute. -- rjbs
RT-Send-CC: perl5-porters [...] perl.org
Download (untitled) / with headers
text/plain 455b
On Thu Aug 15 18:07:39 2013, rjbs wrote: Show quoted text
> > perl 5.8.0 introduced the experimental reserved attribute :unique for > use with > threading. It seems now to be universally unused and has been marked > as > deprecated since perl 5.10.0. > > We should rip it out. > > I started to do this but found that there is code for it in threads, > which is > upstream cpan.
threads is in dist/ and Maintainers.PL says blead is upstream. -- Father Chrysostomos
RT-Send-CC: perl5-porters [...] perl.org
Download (untitled) / with headers
text/plain 434b
On Fri Aug 16 05:25:21 2013, sprout wrote: Show quoted text
> threads is in dist/ and Maintainers.PL says blead is upstream.
I replied earlier, but it seems to have gone into the void. I wrote: Yeah, I should've avoided the jargon. What I mean is that in practice, Jerry has been working the other way around. Look at the history of dist/threads — it's all imports from CPAN releases. -- rjbs
CC: pp <perl5-porters [...] perl.org>
Subject: Re: [perl #119313] [EXPERIMENT] our :unique $var
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2013 10:47:07 -0400
To: perlbug-followup [...] perl.org
From: "Jerry D. Hedden" <jdhedden [...] gmail.com>
Download (untitled) / with headers
text/plain 817b
That is incorrect. Upstream is blead for threads and threads::shared releases. What usually happens is that I submit patches to blead that say 'Upgrade to vXXX'. When that is accepted, I release to CPAN. On Fri, Aug 16, 2013 at 10:24 AM, Ricardo SIGNES via RT <perlbug-followup@perl.org> wrote: Show quoted text
> On Fri Aug 16 05:25:21 2013, sprout wrote:
>> threads is in dist/ and Maintainers.PL says blead is upstream.
> > I replied earlier, but it seems to have gone into the void. > > I wrote: > > Yeah, I should've avoided the jargon. What I mean is that in practice, Jerry > has been working the other way around. Look at the history of dist/threads — > it's all imports from CPAN releases. > > -- > rjbs > > --- > via perlbug: queue: perl5 status: open > https://rt.perl.org:443/rt3/Ticket/Display.html?id=119313
CC: pp <perl5-porters [...] perl.org>
Subject: Re: [perl #119313] [EXPERIMENT] our :unique $var
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2013 10:50:06 -0400
To: perlbug-followup [...] perl.org
From: "Jerry D. Hedden" <jdhedden [...] gmail.com>
Download (untitled) / with headers
text/plain 967b
I concur that :unique should be removed. On Fri, Aug 16, 2013 at 10:47 AM, Jerry D. Hedden <jdhedden@gmail.com> wrote: Show quoted text
> That is incorrect. Upstream is blead for threads and threads::shared > releases. What usually happens is that I submit patches to blead > that say 'Upgrade to vXXX'. When that is accepted, I release to > CPAN. > > On Fri, Aug 16, 2013 at 10:24 AM, Ricardo SIGNES via RT > <perlbug-followup@perl.org> wrote:
>> On Fri Aug 16 05:25:21 2013, sprout wrote:
>>> threads is in dist/ and Maintainers.PL says blead is upstream.
>> >> I replied earlier, but it seems to have gone into the void. >> >> I wrote: >> >> Yeah, I should've avoided the jargon. What I mean is that in practice, Jerry >> has been working the other way around. Look at the history of dist/threads — >> it's all imports from CPAN releases. >> >> -- >> rjbs >> >> --- >> via perlbug: queue: perl5 status: open >> https://rt.perl.org:443/rt3/Ticket/Display.html?id=119313
RT-Send-CC: perl5-porters [...] perl.org
Download (untitled) / with headers
text/plain 487b
On Fri Aug 16 07:48:15 2013, jdhedden@gmail.com wrote: Show quoted text
> That is incorrect. Upstream is blead for threads and threads::shared > releases. What usually happens is that I submit patches to blead > that say 'Upgrade to vXXX'. When that is accepted, I release to > CPAN.
Okay! Sorry I misunderstood. (I imagine you can see how I did. In large part, by not comparing release dates to commit dates!) I will update my branch to fully prune the feature and ask for a review. -- rjbs
Subject: Re: [perl #119313] [EXPERIMENT] our :unique $var
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2013 09:06:05 -0400
To: Father Chrysostomos via RT <perlbug-followup [...] perl.org>
From: Ricardo Signes <rjbs [...] cpan.org>
Download (untitled) / with headers
text/plain 454b
* Father Chrysostomos via RT <perlbug-followup@perl.org> [2013-08-16T08:25:22] Show quoted text
> > I started to do this but found that there is code for it in threads, which > > is upstream cpan.
> > threads is in dist/ and Maintainers.PL says blead is upstream.
Yeah, I should've avoided the jargon. What I mean is that in practice, Jerry has been working the other way around. Look at the history of dist/threads — it's all imports from CPAN releases. -- rjbs
Download signature.asc
application/pgp-signature 490b

Message body not shown because it is not plain text.

CC: Father Chrysostomos via RT <perlbug-followup [...] perl.org>, pp <perl5-porters [...] perl.org>
Subject: Re: [perl #119313] [EXPERIMENT] our :unique $var
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2013 14:10:20 +0200
To: "Jerry D. Hedden" <jdhedden [...] gmail.com>
From: Leon Timmermans <fawaka [...] gmail.com>
Download (untitled) / with headers
text/plain 474b
On Fri, Aug 16, 2013 at 4:47 PM, Jerry D. Hedden <jdhedden@gmail.com> wrote:
Show quoted text
That is incorrect.  Upstream is blead for threads and threads::shared
releases.   What usually happens is that I submit patches to blead
that say 'Upgrade to vXXX'.   When that is accepted, I release to
CPAN.

To me that sounds like the workflow is more like upstream => cpan than upstream =>blead, even if it technically isn't. Is there any reason not to make cpan the upstream?

Leon
RT-Send-CC: perl5-porters [...] perl.org
Download (untitled) / with headers
text/plain 690b
On Mon Aug 19 05:11:34 2013, LeonT wrote: Show quoted text
> On Fri, Aug 16, 2013 at 4:47 PM, Jerry D. Hedden <jdhedden@gmail.com>
wrote: Show quoted text
>
> > That is incorrect. Upstream is blead for threads and threads::shared > > releases. What usually happens is that I submit patches to blead > > that say 'Upgrade to vXXX'. When that is accepted, I release to > > CPAN. > >
> > To me that sounds like the workflow is more like upstream => cpan than > upstream =>blead, even if it technically isn't. Is there any reason not to > make cpan the upstream?
Yes, because it becomes an obstacle when bug-fixing necessitates synchronised changes to the core and threads.xs at the same time. -- Father Chrysostomos


This service is sponsored and maintained by Best Practical Solutions and runs on Perl.org infrastructure.

For issues related to this RT instance (aka "perlbug"), please contact perlbug-admin at perl.org